Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggity jig...

What a day! we ended up at children's ER after wondering why i was wondering how sick I was going to let Jared get before taking him.. needless to say.. shortly after the last post we were off. (I reflected on my own question, of how long to wait... and found my own answer)

I was glad we made it when we did, the ER was quiet and Jared was borderline DKA.. what does that mean.. well, pretty much at the point whereby classification they call it DKA is by lab results, and his were below the specified amount, by 1 he was considered DK (minus the A) no acidosis .. thank goodness... that is a bridge we have not yet crossed.

So after 11 hours we are home, with thier deliberation of if we needed to overnight there or not.. we opted to come home and go back again tomorrow for more follow up labs...

The concensus was ???? you heard it.. ????!!!! ...they said, they have no reason to tell us why this happened that they know of, since he had no symptoms of why this occured, but from what they have been seeing of 'diabetic kids', this seems to come and go for a few weeks, once it begins :( I am hoping we are the exception... and will chalk this up to a bad diabetic day :( and be happy with no reason... the ??? question marks come in because he had elevated white blood cell counts which indicate the body trying to fight infection.. only there was no infection to be found today... so we will take that test again tomorrow and see what was up there... they are hoping the problem will present itself, i am hoping the problem will resolve itself. Their business, vs. my business! I hope we win ;)

They did mention if i had waited much longer we would have had DKA to deal with... so good thing we did not wait... I do have to say.. they mentioned why did i not check ketones earlier.. I have to be honest.. ,and not saying i am perfect and i am not going to beat myself up over this, but a kid with a weekly average of 148 BG was not indicating illness, did not lead me to feel the need to check... they mentioned that with abnormal lows, there is reason to check which did preceed the high before the ketones 3 days prior... albeit (or is it all be it?) I guess the bottom line, is to now add one more repetoire to the 'to do' list and do random ketones tests.. just because?!?!?

Bottom line: trust your mommy (or daddy) instincts... you know them best... and even if and when you question yourself... belive in yourself.

Tonight, Jared is playing and back to his normal self... strange...but glorious.. home again, home again.. jiggity jig :)

p.s they had 4 dr's check his cough.. they say it is a perfect age for boys to develop some sort of nervous tick... and for now... this is his.

1 comment:

Angie said...

wow - between the two of us we are definitely keeping Children's busy!

Glad he's feeling better and hope all continues to improve!!