Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pancreas mom's spot conception

As I look back over the past year (almost to the day) since my son's diagnosis of type 1 diabetes... I think about everything that I have learned, felt and observed and I know.. I am not alone. I think about all he has gone through and how much my little boy has had to grow up, and I am certain, he is not alone.. although there are few 'known' diabetics in this area.. none at our district school, and none at the montessori school he is currently attending.

I function like a pancreas more so than a mom some days, and I know that there are others out there who can not let go (nor can we) of thoughts of caclulations, insulin, carb counting, bolusing, cures, remedies, treatments and long term effects of this disease on our children, our lives and the future. I read a lot on the topic, I think a lot on the topic and I stew the most on it... how can I make his life easier. in retrospect, I am starting to think the one missing piece was, how I can continue to also be relaxed, myself, and still provide the same level of care.

I will be posting past experiences and then update as new issues arise, I highly encourage you to be a part of this and email me, comment and participate. We are not alone, we are moms, pancreas's for children and we are people! we need eachother.. to know we are not alone.

No comments: