Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First day of school!

So far so good. I write this part way through the day, and I am here, back at my desk (which is unbelievable in itself!) My son had loved his past school.. and still, he "needed" me there for the first week as he acclimated and settled in. This year, I had him and my daughter both going to a new public school and she started Kindergarten today. I was nervous about how I was going to juggle this...

I am happy to say, as per most 'non diabetic' (I was tempted to say 'normal' non-diabetic families) I had to spend most of my time settling my daughter in. I floated around the school per their request for the first 4 hours of the day, but Jared's numbers were fantastic, he ate, he played, he learned... I left) Well my daughter did need me at lunch to sit with her (and the team at the school had my sons' bolusing covered- so I did not need to be at his table as predicted) and holy cow.. I think we have success! I am an optimist, I am sooooo happy with the school and don't see any problems occurring. So a few hiccups, like the transferring of the diabetic kit (BG tester/Omnipod remote) from lunch to recess and back to to the class, but overall - a HUGE success!!!

I could not be happier....

I am thrilled with the principal and the teacher and so proud of my kids for hanging in there, and trusting us to find them a safe school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good school, good staff, good classmates, can't help but create a good experience, for good kids like Jared and Maya. Cheers for all including good parents.