Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sometimes we forget...

So After our spring break, Jared had a few suspicious pods, was recovering from the 'cough' thing that was going around and well, we still dragged him 3000 miles from home, and then after our 6 hour flight, we slept for one night at home, then headed into the car for another journey to be with more family for another 3 hours each way... he got in the car with ketones.. I knew.. I could battle those suckers, honestly I am getting used to pods not delivering enough... I can attack the ketones aggressively, especially if I know I am within a one foot radius of him .. in a car - he is not moving and not consuming anything. Ketones done.. Fun with the family - Drive home. Monday is a school day.. That night he has a bit of a problem falling asleep from a belly ache.. I check ketones, we are clear.. We assume he ate too much dinner.. and off to bed.. He wakes up tues morning, a bit of a tummy ache - we check for ketones - Clear...but oddly he has been running low since last night which is not been the norm for some time now.. I decide we are all exhausted.. lets play it safe and have a home day = play hookey. All day he had a slight belly ache and kept going low.. no ketones..

This is the part where you chuckle... I called the endo and asked what was going on. She replied "Funny how we all know how to deal with ketones and I would just guess... for the first time in almost 2 years (since diagnosis) your son has a tummy ache :) unrelated to diabetes! And that is why he still has a pediatrician ;)" She was ofcourse so nice and friendly and was still supportive while reminding me that we are in auto pancreas parent mode.. sometimes, (Rarely) but sometimes... kids are just kids... and the diabetes is just a side note.. a buddy we watch over... but not the main character we keep our eye on ;) (This was my interpretation BTW). We had lows all day and most of the night... we decided to lower basal rate, give him a glass of milk.. and call it a night.. know he would be okay, and try and fill up his reserves in his liver, should he need them.

I would love this story if it ended here.. it would prove the whole point of the diabetes does not rule the body...

but...He woke up at 365... oops... still a tummy ache... and now ketones... Humm....

I think the bug, finally disturbed the diabetes, and now we battle both...

Well, I get a home day with a kid who has a tummy ache, but not vomiting.. and we can manage this... you know what?!?! I'll take it... after all... with two kids.. how often do we get to spend a little extra 'love' time with the older one of our kids who is usually in school all day?

I am optimistic we will manage this too.. it won't be a hospital day... we are watching him close, enjoying our time as best we can.. and letting the diabetes just being in the background...

these ketones are not going to fool me for today again.. he is still my kid with a belly ache...(ketones) but mostly just a belly ache :)

No comments: