Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What to do? What would you do?

The plot/ dilemma is here.. any advice for me?

My son is in 1st grade and is bright, he attends montessori (private school) We ended up there by default as the public school was not ready for his diabetes (Trust me, 4 days post diagnosis, neither were we, but we did not have a choice) He ended up at a wonderful school in which the teachers are really sincere and care enough to help my son with his diabetic needs.

The issue... My daughter is going to be going to going into kindergarten this year, and we were thinking we wanted both kids together... Sending 2 kids to montessori would break the bank (to say the least)SO... do we pull our son and put him into a public school (Which note, now has a new principal and new pseudo nurse (She is still nurse to 6 schools - so does not spend much time at her school) or put my daughter into montessori, or split them up?

Aggghhhh! Pressure is on, everyone needs us to enroll.. and pay deposits. I need to decide and I can't. I Love the education my son is getting and his zest and love for learning, and the extraneous and extra subjects he learns at this private school really help fuel his passion for learning... But will this.. can this continue at regular school?

What would you do?

So the underlying issue is that it is not only academic, it is social as well... in his mixed class (and ultimately hers too) there are very few kids the same age as your child. And from the current selection in his class, the other boys have major behavioural issues.. not to mention lack of filters and discretion! The appeal of the local public school is the new friends and a class full, if not 2 - 3 of new opportunities for friends...

Is the grass always greener?

Help!?!?!? Please.

Imagine that I am so confused about the above, I have back burnered that we have to factor in the whole diabetic issues of testing and lunch boluses...

Ack! Ugh, Sigh... HELP!!!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I wish I knew something to say that would help this all make sense. I struggle with the same thing often... keep the kids in private school with great care and teachers and remain poor or try public school and hope all goes well. There are no easy answers -- I've always gone back to private but that's us and I know many people who've made public school work well.

Whatever you decide, know your son (and daughter) will do well and thrive because of an amazing mom who is always there and thinking of their needs first.

Hang in there and I'll be thinking of you!