Sunday, June 22, 2008

Is ther a connection between Lead, Toxic Plastics, and Artificial chemicals to our children who have diabetes?

So shortly after the self blame game subsides, we look outwards, or atleast I did, I started to look at the environment and the world around us to see what could be contributing to this disease, what the common thread is that makes it an 'epidemic' espicially in the state I live in (WA)( I hear Norway is the second biggest hotspot)

I decided that I would make changes where I could. We were lucky that we already were quite 'healthy' eaters and had the whole grains and lower fat diet... but now, the house hold needed a 'scrub'.

I did my research online and through discussions with knowledgable sources and I compiled this list. ( I will also try and touch on the theories that have been pointed out to me, and reference them when available)

First point of attack:
PLASTICS
We cleaned house.. no more sippy cups, damaged plastic plates and unmarked plastics in general if we could not identify the types of plastics they were... It was brought to my attention that some types of plastics were ultimately poison. But when 'activated' they really became hazards to our health. What do I mean by 'activated?' well... My friends father in Switzerland is a scientist who did a study on plastics and how they affect our food and beverages when consumed using plastics as the vessel (cup or plate) and this was his statement generally... Plastics were created as a convenience but for use for a short period of time, for example, put your juice or water into the plastic cup and consume within 10 minutes 30 minutes tops, but with today's busy society we leave sippy cups and plastic kids cups and even plastic waterbottles and nalgene hiking bottles filled with liquids that we revist and drink even days later if they have been refridgerated.. or in the case of waterbottles in the car, yikes even weeks .. according to him, this begins the leeching process. The beverage or contents begin to absorb compnents of the plastics never meant to be absorbed. Had we consumed them within the reasonable time frame, problem reduced... save it for later... and we are putting toxins into our bodies. Plastic Plates for kids are somthing similar.. kids don't often use knives, but when we use knives on thier plates to cut their food (rather than on a cutting board or cermaic or porcelain plate) we open up the platic coating and now allow the toxic plastics exposure to our childrens foods. To make matters worse, we use the micowave.. but that is a whole other 'point of attack comment' ;)

MICROWAVE
So, call me crazy, but when we make tea for ourselves we have a few choices, microwave the water, or boil (or hot tap for some with the ultimate convenience). I always choose to boil my water, because when I microwave my water, the taste changes... DID You notice that.. the TASTE changes.. would one say that water is a flavored liquid.. not really.. so WHAT does the microwave do to water that it ultimately changes its molecular structure that it can change the taste of water?!?!
I rest my case.. can microwaving be all that good for what nature intended to be ??
But we do need to eat and drink warm things, but think about defrosting.. when we microwave meat to defrost it it changes color, taste and sometimes texture... so what are our options? (For those that don't plan in the morning and take out frozen meats to defrost or buy fresh from the market each day for each meal?? You can actually use your oven or toaster oven for defrosting... I have started, and wow, the color, texture and taste stay in tact.. imagine that!
saran wrap and platic seals in general (not brand related).....

LEAD
Okay so the big Fisher-Price recall was the beginning of a new attention to lead, not only was it now important for people whose walls were painted pre-1978 to worry, but for anyones whose kids were into dora and diego (loosely speaking) hey even the sesame street characters were dragged into the lead mess! Cheap manufacturing shortcuts are costing our children brain cells and health (and this is before they have to deal with the other known factors for such they may face in thier lives)
But how can we overcome the whole industry and be more aware of what can poison our kids... I haven't..if you have, please post.. I would love to hear from you :)

ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
So as I prepare this the first thing that comes to mind, which is not really 'environment'al but rather in our living enviroment.. I think about powerlines over our kids schools, and factories and working plants near our watersources and farms. Pesticides and all other things kind of fit into this factor.. things that we hope are washed away, not included in or a part of our lives, but make its way in...when possible, I try and avoid them.

FOODS
I have been compiling this list from various sources for various reasons.. and I will do my best to explain each one, but if I am not clear, comment and I can go into more details on any one of the reasons I have found.
A few of the changes we have made include:
Making the switch from iodized salt to natural sea salt is an easy and in the long run not expensive trade off... I have heard that there are parasites that live in the pancreas called 'fluke' and these buggers like to eat iodized salt and also artificial sweeteners, both of which we try and steer clear of when possible, but life happens and so we do what we can when we can (which means in our house)
No antibiotic meats and milk products are a big one, but more for general than diabetes based reasons, although the parasite theory (search: Hulda Clark for more details)also relates to the meats and milk products since some belive the parasites that live and feed off the islets in the pancreas stem from cattle and their products. (I have not decided if I fully belive this one or not.. I believe the theory, I am just not sure of they hypothesis that if one rids the parasites from the pancreas one can become less insulin dependant (Hummm.. parents, jump in here... would love to hear your thoughts on this one)
Artificial food colorings have shown in studies to cause almost ADD like sypmtoms in kids.. so for a child who stuggles with ups and downs due to glucose levels, why add more chaos to the list?!?
Vegetarian fed eggs, and meats Just a personal choice I made, also not to long after the whole Pickton Farm fiasco this one just became obvious to me (google pickton farm BC Canada if you wish for some gory details of a farmer who fed his pigs people parts this decade)

Well if I have not overwhelmed you with this list, I am beginning to feel overwhelmed myself. We do the best we can, and like quitting smoking or dieting if we go cold turkey or restrict EVERYTHING all at once, we are more likely to rebound or feel overwhelmed... So take it slow and we do what we can.. after all we have a lot to focus on ;)

No comments: